CDE will be closed on Friday, July 3 for the Independence Day holiday.
You are here
Implement the Mathematics Standards with CDE's Professional Learning Modules
CDE recommends that schools and districts take a patient, planned approach to implementing the 2020 Colorado Academic Standards. The two-year transition period between the adoption of these standards in 2018 and their implementation in the 2020-2021 school year offers Colorado educators the opportunity to give standards implementation the full attention it deserves.
To assist in these efforts, the Office of Standards and Instructional support is providing a series of professional learning modules to help school leaders facilitate standards implementation efforts with their staffs. The first phase of modules focuses on disciplinary and standards literacy, which establishes a foundation for understanding the relationship between disciplinary content and the educational purposes of standards. The second phase of modules focus on curriculum and resource alignment and ends with goal-setting for district- and school-level curricular changes. The final phase of modules will focus on connecting the standards to instructional practices and strategies.
The mathematics standards compel us to make mathematics relevant to students by moving beyond mere answer getting to doing the work of mathematicians. The standards emphasize the development of students’ abilities to use mathematics to represent their lived experiences and to simplify and explain complex phenomena.
2009/2010 Mathematics Standards
- Online Sortable Standards
- PDF Downloads
- Mathematics Standards By Grade
- Understanding the Colorado Academic Standards in Mathematics
2020 Mathematics Standards
- Standards Online
- Mathematics Standards Downloads
Implementing and Supporting the Standards
- CDE Implementation Modules
- Understanding the Common Core State Standards in Mathematics
Article IX, Section 16 of Colorado's constitution states, "Neither the general assembly nor the state board of education shall have power to prescribe textbooks to be used in the public schools." However, CDE can still serve as an advisor to help districts and schools adopt, adapt, develop, or use the materials of their choice.
Tools for Curriculum Evaluation and Adoption
- First-Person Curriculum Reviews
- Second-Person Curriculum Reviews
- Third-Person Curriculum Reviews
District Sample Curriculum Project
- Curriculum Overview Samples
- Instructional Unit Samples
There are many opportunities to get involved in mathematics education in Colorado and beyond, including mailing lists, professional organizations, and events.
- CoMath Listserv
- Colorado Council of Teachers of Mathematics (CCTM)
- Colorado Mathematics Leaders (CML)
- National Council of Teachers of Mathematics
- NCSM: Leadership in Mathematics Education
- Joint Mathematics Meetings (January 15-18, 2020, Denver)
- Math on the "Planes" (February 22-23, 2020, Thornton)
Awards and Grants
- Presidential Award for Excellence in Mathematics and Science Teaching (PAEMST)
- Presidential Award for Excellence in Science, Mathematics, and Engineering Mentoring
- CCTM Grants and Awards
- NCTM Grants and Awards
For further assistance, please contact: