You are here
State Funded Comprehensive Health Education
About Comprehensive Health Education
The "Colorado Comprehensive Health Education Act of 1990" encourages every school district to provide a pre K-12th grade planned, sequential health education program. Parental and community involvement in the program is stressed. Parents and guardians have the right to exempt from any or all of the health education program. Local health advisory councils are encouraged and should be representative of the norms and values of the community.
Comprehensive Health Education Quick Links
Health and Wellness Fact Sheets
Contact the Health and Wellness Team
News and Announcements
The Colorado Comprehensive Health Education Act provides funding to develop and implement local comprehensive health education programs in grades PK-12 to foster healthy behaviors through increasing students’ health knowledge and skills to establish and maintain their physical, emotional, social, mental, and sexual health and wellness in addition to the modification of risky behaviors. Approximately $300,000 is available for the 2023-2024 school year, with funding contingent on approval of appropriations from the State Legislature. The Colorado Department of Education anticipates awarding grants for a four-year period. Applicants may request up to $30,000 per year.
Comprehensive Health Education Funding Opportunity
Applications Due: Friday, April 28, 2023, by 11:59 p.m.
Application Information Webinar: Monday, March 20, 2023, from 2-3 p.m.
Intent to Apply Due: Friday, March 31, 2023, by 11:59 p.m.
For more information view the Comprehensive Health Education Grants Page
Health Education Coordinators E-mail list
If you would like to receive information about the grant and other health education resources, sign up for our Health Education Coordinators e-mail list
Health Education Coordinators E-mail List
With the day-to-day stressors of managing Covid receding, new (and not-so-new) pressures on K-12 education are swirling. The Colorado Department of Education is proud to sponsor the 3rd Annual Distinguished Speakers Series – and bring you some of the nation’s leading education voices who will address the state’s most critical and important issues. Join us this Fall & Spring for an amazing virtual lineup of some of the country’s leading voices on what students and educators need NOW to help our schools succeed.
- February 21, 2023 3:30 - 4:30 - Ruthless Equity
- February 28, 2023 3:30 - 4:30 Divesity, Equity & Inclusion: What Matters Most & What Matters NOW!
- March 7, 2023 3:30 - 4:30 Taking Action : How to Systemically Close Learning Gaps & Ensure High Levels of Learning for All Students
Teaching and Learning CoLabs
The dates and host sites for this summer's Teaching and Learning CoLabs are:
- Thursday, June 1: Grand Junction, hosted by Colorado Mesa University
- Wednesday, June 14: Greeley, hosted by the University of Northern Colorado
- Friday, June 23: Pueblo, hosted by CSU Pueblo
Registration will be open in late March but if you are interested in attending, please complete this interest form to stay updated.
Teaching and Learning CoLabs are locally hosted, multi-disciplinary events following a model developed and supported by the Colorado Department of Education. As the name suggests, these events are focused on teaching and learning and are designed for collaboration. Each one brings together stakeholders in K-12, higher education, Colorado's professional teaching organizations, and the Colorado Department of Education. CoLabs are being co-designed by multiple partner organizations to help shape the event into something meaningful and sustainable for teachers and educators across the state. The schedule allows both elementary and secondary teachers to dig into these content areas in 2023:
- English Language Arts (Reading, Writing, and Communicating)
- Health and Physical Education
- Science and Computer Science
- Social Studies
- The Arts (Dance, Drama & Theatre, Music, and Visual Arts)
In addition, leaders and instructional coaches can attend these sessions or a program strand designed for school leaders. At the end of the day, school teams will come together for a facilitated hour of planning where they can make sense of the ideas from the day and consider how to carry them forward into the 2023-2024 school year.
Colorado Department of Education Health Education Moodle Course
The Colorado Department of Education has collectively created a comprehensive course to support educators teaching health education. The goal of health education is for students to gain knowledge and become proficient in skills that will help them adopt and maintain healthy lives. The module course will equip educators to develop skills around implementing high impact teaching strategies and effective health education practices. Each of the course modules focuses on one important aspect of health education. The modules are set up to be viewed sequentially; however, they are self-contained, meaning there is flexibility to review the modules individually at your leisure. Modules have been created by Colorado health educators with support from the Colorado Education Initiative, and funding from the Colorado Health Foundation.
- Center Consolidated Schools 26-J
- Colorado Springs School District 11
- Lake County School District R-1
- Douglas County School District RE-1
- Las Animas School District RE-1
- East Grand School District RE-2
- South Routt School District RE-3
- Canon City Schools Fremont RE-1
- Thompson School District R2-J
- Harrison School District 2
- Colorado Comprehensive Health Education Act (CHEA)
- Policies and Guidelines for Colorado Comprehensive Health and Physical Education Standards and Instruction
- Comprehensive Health Education Fact Sheet
- Drug Prevention Instructional Sample Units
- Marijuana Use Prevention Resource Bank
- Whole School, Whole Community, Whole Child (WSCC) Resources
- Mental Health Resource Bank
Community and State Partners
Previously Funded Districts
Archuleta School District 50JT
La Veta School District RE-2
Boulder Valley School District
Poudre School District
Center Consolidated Schools 26JT
South Routt School District
Hayden School District
Steamboat Springs School District RE-2
Jefferson County Public School District
Steamboat Springs School District RE-2 North Routt
Connect With Us