You are here
Mediation is an informal, voluntary process in which a neutral person assists the parties in communicating and exploring possible options for resolving conflict. The goal of special education mediation is to help the parties reach their own mutually acceptable resolution of the disputed issues related to a student’s special education services.
Click here for more info on Mediation.
A State Complaint is a written complaint requesting an investigation of any alleged violations of the IDEA requirements. A State Complaints Officer will conduct an informal investigation, considering the information and interviews of the parties involved, and issue a written decision.
Click here for more info on State Complaints.
Due Process Complaint
A Due Process complaint is a process involving an Administrative Law Judge who conducts a hearing, much like a formal court proceeding. The ALJ considers the information and testimony offered by each side and issues a written decision.
Click here for more info on Due Process Complaints.
Dispute Resolution Information
- OSERS Questions and Answers on IDEA Part B Dispute Resolution Procedures
- Procedural Safeguards Notice | Aviso de garantias de procedimiento
Parent and Child Rights in Special Education / Derechos de los padres y sus hijos (Amended 07/01/11)
- Dispute Resolution Rights (brochure) | Derechos en la solucion de disputas
- Dispute Resolution Options
- State Complaint Procedures | Procedimientos Para Quejas a Nivel Estatal
- Mediation Services | Servicios de Mediación
- Restraint Complaints Office
General Special Education Information
- The OSEP Spanish Glossary Project - Glossary of Common Terms related to IDEA (English / Espanol)
- Special Education Guidance Documents
- "Working Together: Building Improved Communication" - a collection of free resources is designed to support effective collaboration between parents, schools and early childhood programs. Courtesy of The Center for Appropriate Dispute Resolution in Special Education (CADRE).
For more information, or to speak with someone about dispute resolution options, contact:
Exceptional Student Services Unit, 1560 Broadway, Suite 1100, Denver, CO 80202 | Phone: 303-866-6694, Fax: 303-866-6767
Supervisor, Dispute Resolution
Email Brandon Edelman
Tom Treinen, Esq.
State Complaints Officer
Email Tom Treinen
Dispute Resolution Paralegal & Coordinator
Email Jennifer Woods
Find what you were looking for?
If you have problems with broken links or accessing the content on this page, please contact our web content coordinator Amanda Timmerman at Timmerman_A@cde.state.co.us. Please copy the URL link for this page into the email when referencing the problem you are experiencing.