You are here

Additional Services

Effective Date of a License

The effective date of the license is the date on which an application is complete and CDE is ready to act on the application. Therefore, if an applicant submits an incomplete application, or if CDE has not received the applicant's background checks, the application will not be evaluated and a corresponding license or authorization will not be effective until that information has been provided and approved. CDE does not backdate certificates for any reason other than our own error. This includes the submission of official transcripts showing that a degree has been conferred.

Placing a Professional License on Inactive Status

Note: Only a professional license may be placed on inactive status. Authorizations and initial licenses cannot be placed on inactive status.

22-60.5-109.5 C.R.S. states that any person who holds a valid professional license may choose to convert the professional license to inactive status. To submit your request, log in to your eLicensing account and complete and submit an "Inactivate an Already Active Professional License" application. You may make this request only once during a 12-month period. There is no fee associated with an inactivation request.

While on inactive status, though the expiration date of a professional license shall be suspended, the online credential verification will show an expiration date which will be the date we received your inactivation request. When you submit an application to return the professional license to active status, it shall be issued for the period remaining on the license as of the date of inactivation. Please note that per statute, while your professional license is on inactive status, you shall be deemed to not hold that professional license.

The Educator Licensure Office only may inactivate a license that has been issued. We cannot inactivate your license at the time of initial application or at the time of renewal due to system constraints. You must wait until the application for the license has been approved and emailed to you. Requests for inactivation that are received prior to the original license being issued cannot be processed. Too, if you hold a previously issued hardcopy certificate, you must include a copy of this original license within your inactivation application (e-mailed, softcopy certificates do not need to be included). If inactivated for more than one (1) year, you will need to submit a set of fingerprints to CBI for a current background check in order to reactive the license..

Click to Apply

Reactivating a Previously Inactivated Professional License

A person may return a professional license to active status at any time by completing the "Reactivate an Already Inactive Professional License" application via their eLicensing account. Reactivation dates are based on when the complete reactivation application is received by CDE and the days remaining calculated during the inactivation process. There is a non-refundable $25 fee associated with the reactivation application. Please note: if your license has been inactivated for more than one (1) year and if you do not hold another valid, CDE-issued educator credential, you will need to submit a set of fingerprints to CBI for a current background check.

Click to Apply

Reprint Requests/Corrections

A duplicate or reprint of an active license or authorization may be obtained by submitting a "Reprint/Request Name Change" application. Only one license/authorization can be requested per application. To request more than one reprint, additional applications must be submitted. The application can be found within the eLicensing system. Be sure to verify the e-mail address associated with your account, as that is where the copy will be sent.

If your license/authorization has already expired and you need written verification of past licensure status, please see the Verification of an Active or Expired License section. We cannot print copies of expired credentials.

Click to Apply

Name Change Request

Official documentation from an applicant is required prior to making a name change for that person. To submit the documentation, you will need to complete the "Reprint Request/Name Change" application in eLicensing. During the application process, you will need to upload an electronic copy of your Colorado or U.S. government-issued id that shows the new name and any official documentation (such as a marriage license, divorce decree or other officially issued court document) supporting the legal name change. (Out-of-state driver licenses must be accompanied by a U.S. state-issued birth certificate.) Applications submitted without the requisite information will be determined to not meet requirements and be closed.

Click to Apply

Verification of an Active or Expired License / Letter of Good Standing

Upon request, the Educator Licensure Office will provide a statement of verification or letter of good standing indicating the validity date(s) and the endorsement area(s) of the license(s) or authorization(s) held. For test score verification, you will need to contact the exam administrator.

To obtain such a statement, please complete this simple request form. (Be sure to include your complete mailing address (with city, state and zip code) so that we may verify and/or update your account.) State-specific forms may be attached to this request. Please do not include copies of your CDE-issued credentials.

Please note: All verifications are subject to the information contained in our current database and that older certifications or archived records may not be available. There is no charge for this service. Note: If you need a copy of a certificate, please see the reprint request section above.

Educator Licensure Records prior to 2002

For information pertaining to an educator license issued prior to October 18, 2002, you will need to contact the Colorado State Archives Office:

Colorado State Archives
1313 Sherman St. Room 1B-20
Denver, CO 80203
303-866-2358 or 303-866-2390

Fees may apply: