You are here

Spouses of Active Military Personnel

The Colorado Department of Education understands that military spouses have special circumstances not typically faced by other educators. In an effort to assist spouses of active military personnel, CDE may issue an interim authorization to an educator (teacher, special services provider, principal, administrator) who is certified or licensed, or who is eligible for certification or licensure, in another state and who has not successfully completed the assessment of professional competencies to obtain an initial license under Colorado Law (C.R.S. 22-60.5-201(1)(b), 22-60.5-301(1)(a), or 22-60.5-306(1)(a)). Upon issuance, the interim authorization is valid for one year and may be renewed for one additional year.

To apply for an interim authorization, the fingerprint-based criminal history record check requirement must be met and an online application must be completed for initial licensure in the specific license type being sought (teacher, special services provider, principal, administrator). Upon receipt of a completed application, the Educator Licensing Unit will evaluate the application within ninety days of application receipt. During the evaluation process, if any required information or documentation is missing from the application, the applicant will be notified via email using the email address on-file.

Within the application, there will be a question asking "Are you, or have you ever been, in the U.S. military or are you a U.S. military spouse of an active U.S. military member?" If you answer "yes" to this question, your application will be expedited.

For additional information on the licenses offered by the Colorado Department of Education, please visit the Initial Educator Licenses First-Time Applicant page.




For technical problems with this page please contact the Web Content Coordinator



For questions, submit a Licensing Support Request form or call 720-739-3304 (7:30 am to 12:30 pm, Monday through Friday).