* * CDE will be closed on Thursday, Nov. 28 and Friday, Nov. 29 for the Thanksgiving holiday. * *
You are here
National Board Certification
2019-2020 Stipends for Nationally Certified School Professionals
For more details, please consult the 2019-2020 Stipend Distribution Process fact sheet.
Application will open Dec. 1, 2019.
Stipends for 2019-2020: New Provisions
Colorado Revised Statutes 22-2-504(1), (2) and (4) were amended during the 2019 legislative session to redefine the "school professionals" eligible for a stipend, as follows:
- Teachers and principals who hold a valid National Board for Professional Teaching Standards (NBPTS) certificate;
- School counselors who hold a valid certificate from either NBPTS or the National Board for Certified Counselors (NCC, CCMHC or NCSC only)
- School psychologists who hold a valid National Association of School Psychologists (NASP) certificate
The Colorado legislature budgeted* to allocate a $1,600 stipend to school professionals who:
- hold a valid Colorado teacher license, principal license or special services license with a school counselor or school psychologist endorsement AND
- hold a valid certificate from the associated organization identified above AND
- were employed in a Colorado public school or district by Oct. 1, 2019 and who remain employed in a Colorado school or district through May 1, 2020.
An additional stipend of up to $3,200 may be awarded to these school professionals who are employed in schools designated by the Colorado State Board of Education (anticipated December 2019) as "Priority Improvement Plan" or "Turnaround Plan" schools.
*If the allocated funding is insufficient to fully fund stipends to all qualifying individuals who have requested a stipend, stipends will be awarded only to those who are employed in low-performing, high-needs schools.
In order to receive the stipend, each school professional must submit a "National Board Stipend" application through his/her eLicensing account to notify CDE of his/her desire to receive a stipend if he/she is determined eligible. The application will be available only for the month of December 2019 for the 2019-2020 distribution. Once school ratings have been determined (anticipated December 2019), CDE will work with district HR representatives to verify each applicant's employment and FTE.
As stipulated in state statute, stipend funds will be distributed to districts, which will in turn provide these funds to qualifying educators in May 2020 via their payroll systems (applicable withholding(s) may apply; all stipends will be prorated per percentage of FTE).
NEW for 2019-2020!
Because each of the identified certification organizations issues certificates at different times throughout the year, CDE will award stipends to qualifying individuals as follows:
- Those who hold national board certification at the start of the school year (by Oct. 1, 2019) that is valid through May 2020 will receive a full stipend (prorated per percentage of FTE).
- Those who receive their certificate by Dec. 31, 2019, will receive a partial (50%) stipend (prorated per percentage of FTE).
Please review the 2019-2020 Stipend Distribution Process fact sheet for important details about the process.
The following have been asked through the years regarding stipends for national board-certified school professionals and their individual scenarios. (The 2019-2020 Stipend Distribution Process fact sheet also may help to answer your questions.)
May I still qualify for a stipend if …
… I work in a private school?
… I am on leave without pay?
… my national certification will expire during the 2019-2020 academic year?
… I am retiring mid-year?
… my national certification is through an organization not specified above?
No. To qualify for a stipend, you must hold valid national certification from the specified entity for your license type and be employed in a Colorado public school district/BOCES/charter school from at least Oct. 1, 2019 to May 1, 2020.
What if …
… I teach in a district online school?
… I work only part time in a district?
… I teach in a content area other than that indicated on my NBPTS certificate?
… I hold multiple national board certifications?
Yes. Stipends will be prorated per percentage of FTE and are not tied to either a content/endorsement area or a brick-and-mortar setting. As long as the certifying organization is one of the specified entities and pertains to your license and role in the district, you may be eligible for a stipend. Only one stipend will be granted to a qualifying individual, however, regardless of how many national certificates you hold.
For general inquiries relating to stipends for nationally certified school professionals, please review the 2019-2020 Stipend Distribution Process fact sheet. If you still have questions, please send an e-mail to: NBPTS E-mail Inquiries
For more information on national board certification:
National Board for Professional Teaching Standards
1525 Wilson Boulevard, Suite 700
Arlington, VA 22209
For technical problems with this page please contact the Web Content Coordinator.