You are here
School Nursing and Health - Professional Development
Trainings for all Colorado School Nurses
CDE School Nurse Updates
Wednesday, monthly - 4:00 - 5:00 p.m.
Registration link for individual sessions will be sent a week in advance on the school nurse listserv. Please contact Anita Brodecky for questions about these updates.
COVID-19 & Chronic Conditions Training Series
Training #1 - COVID-19 Considerations for Schools
Tuesday, September 22nd 3:30 - 5:00 p.m.
Training #2 - Asthma, Anaphylaxis & COVID-19
Wednesday, October 21st 3:30 - 5:00 p.m.
Training #3 - Diabetes, Seizures & COVID-19
Wednesday, November 18th 3:30 - 5:00 p.m.
Registration link for individual sessions will be sent a week in advance on the school nurse listserv. Check back for future dates! Please contact Anita Brodecky for questions about these trainings.
Trainings for New School Nurses
2020 School Nurse Orientation (SNO)
**For Professional School Nurses ONLY***
July 2020 SNO Series has ended.
Check back for future School Nurse Orientation Series dates.
SNO Webinars for New School Nurses
First Tuesday of most months - 1:30 - 2:30 p.m.
Monthly webinars for new school nurses to enhance school nursing knowledge.
Contact Megan Murray to be added to the webinar invitation list or for any questions regarding these trainings.
New Nurse Huddles
Third Tuesday of each month - 1:30 - 2:30 p.m.
Monthly meetings ("huddles") for new school nurses to meet with Regional Nurse Specialists.
Contact Megan Murray to be added to these huddles.
Trainings for School Nurse Leaders
Please check back in the fall for more information
We will use a virtual platform for these meetings.
Standard Precaution Course available on CO-Train
This course covers the use of standard precautions. It focuses on early care and learning settings.
- Personnel working in school settings will also find this course relevant. It also addresses the prevention and control of infectious diseases, and the role of immunizations for children and care providers.
- Upon completion of all online modules, user must print their completion certificate and have it signed to indicate that their site-specific exposure control plan was reviewed, unless they meet the exemptions from this rule.
- Direct link: https://www.train.org/main/course/1089426/compilation
- Search by course in the CO-Train system: ID# 1089426
Applying Best Practice Asthma Care in Schools: A Standardized Statewide Approach
The objectives of the course are:
- Describe the role and responsibilities of the school nurse to provide comprehensive care of students with asthma.
- Apply Colorado best practice approaches to providing quality asthma care in school settings.
- Impact student asthma care and management within the school setting.
Please email Pam Hitt. Include your first and last name and your email address.
Applying Best Practice Asthma Care in Schools for Unlicensed Assistive Personnel (UAP)
The objectives of the course are:
- Encourage parents/guardians to complete the Asthma Intake form and communicate its completion to the school nurse.
- Implement the green (required pre-treatment), yellow and red zones of the Colorado Asthma Care Plan.
- Administer and coach for accurate technique for administration of a quick relief medication using a MDI plus spacer.
Please have your district nurse email Pam Hitt with the request to take this course. Include your first and last name and your email address.