HealthierUS School Challenge: Smarter Lunchrooms is open to all schools participating in the National School Lunch Program and School Breakfast Program. We recognize that changing the school nutrition environment takes time and celebrate both the gradual changes and big successes of schools working diligently to help children eat more healthfully and be more physically active.
Schools can submit an application at any time during the year for a Bronze, Silver, Gold or Gold of Distinction level award.
Schools may submit applications for the HealthierUS School Challenge: Smarter Lunchrooms by US mail or online. Recipients of the Alliance for a Healthier Generations Healthy Schools Program National Recognition Award may also be eligible for a streamlined application process.
Applications submitted to the State agency on or after August 31, 2014, will be reviewed using the 2014 HUSSC: SL Criteria.
- USDA Team Nutrition Website
- Promotional Materials
- 2014 HUSSC Brochure
- Promotional Flyer
- HUSSC Award Winner Press Release
- HUSSC Sample Letter to Parents
- HUSSC Success Stories
- Training and Technical Assistance
- Application Guidance
- Monetary Incentives Memo (TA 04-2010)
- Smart Snacks Summary of Standards
- Smarter Lunchrooms Self-Assessment Scorecard
- Farm to School
- US Food Waste Challenge
- Award Winning Schools in Colorado
- Tips from Award Winners
- Healthy Schools Program Framework of Best Practices
- Webinars and PowerPoint (PPT) Presentations
- Become a Team Nutrition (TN) School
- Note: To apply for a HUSSC award, each school must first join Team Nutrition
- USDA HealthierUS School Challenge Application Materials
Colorado's Newest HealthierUS School Challenge Award Winners!
Denver Public Schools
Pioneer Charter School (Silver)
For additional information: