HealthierUS School Challenge: Smarter Lunchrooms is open to all schools participating in the National School Lunch Program and School Breakfast Program. We recognize that changing the school nutrition environment takes time and celebrate both the gradual changes and big successes of schools working diligently to help children eat more healthfully and be more physically active.
Schools can submit an application at any time during the year for a Bronze, Silver, Gold or Gold of Distinction level award.
Schools may submit applications for the HealthierUS School Challenge: Smarter Lunchrooms by US mail or online. Recipients of the Alliance for a Healthier Generations Healthy Schools Program National Recognition Award may also be eligible for a streamlined application process.
Congratulations to Canon City RE-1!
The Colorado Department of Education Office of School Nutrition (CDE OSN) was recently notified by the USDA Food and Nutrition Service (FNS) that the following schools in Canon City RE-1 have been approved for HealthierUS School Challenge: Smarter Lunchrooms (HUSSC: SL) bronze awards:
- Canon City High School
- Canon City Middle School
- Canon Exploratory School
- Harrison K-8 School
- Lincoln School of Science and Technology
- McKinley Elementary School
- Washington Elementary School
The USDA and CDE OSN commend Canon City RE-1 for theirr efforts in improving student health and wellness by meeting the rigorous HUSSC: SL criteria. HUSSC: SL schools play a vital role in promoting student wellness, which is a leading contributor to student achievement. As an acknowledgement of this achievement, each of the schools listed above will receive an HUSSC award plaque, banner and monetary award. These schools will also soon be added to the HUSSC awardees list at USDA Team Nutrition HUSSC: SL.
- Application Guidance (USDA)
- Sample Application with Instructions (Action for Healthy Kids)
- Criteria (USDA)
- Checklists (Use these checklists to determine if your school is ready to apply)
- Monetary Incentives Memo (TA 04-2010) (USDA)
- Use your Wellness Team to Help Complete the Application (Action for Healthy Kids)
- Award Winning Schools in Colorado
- Tips from Award Winners (USDA)
- Farm to School (USDA)
- US Food Waste Challenge (USDA)
- Smart Snacks and Competitive Foods (CDE OSN)
- Smarter Lunchrooms Movement (CDE OSN)
Webinars, Tip Sheets and PowerPoint (PPT) Presentations
- Note: To apply for a HUSSC award, each school must first join Team Nutrition
For additional information: