You are here

Emergency Educational Interpreter Authorization (EEIA) -- Initial & Renewal

Preparing to Apply

Am I in the Right Place?

Please Note: This authorization was formerly known as the Temporary Educational Interpreter (TEI)

This checklist is for applicants seeking an emergency educational interpreter authorization either for the first time or as a renewal. This authorization may be renewed twice, with documented evidence of progress toward meeting requirements for the full authorization.

You may apply for this authorization if you:

  • Are employed at a Colorado school district, BOCES, facility school or state-operated program,
  • Provide services as an educational interpreter,
  • Do not yet qualify for the full (5-year) CDE-issued Educational Interpreter Authorization, and
  • Are working toward meeting the requirements for full authorization

Plan Ahead

  • You will need electronic copies of all documentation.
    ( Get Help with Document Scanning )
  • Allow ample time to request any third party transcripts or other documentation.

Application Fee:

$90.00 in-state

$110.00 out-of-state

Authorization Expires:

1 year from date of issue



  • Submit fingerprints to the Colorado Bureau of Investigation (CBI).
    • If you already hold a valid, CDE-issued educational credential and have consistently maintained an active credential (authorization or license) since you submitted your fingerprints, you can skip this step. We reserve the right to evaluate your application for adherence to the fingerprint requirements and will notify you by email should any follow-up be needed.
    • If you have submitted fingerprints for CDE credentialing in the past, but allowed all credentials to lapse and have held no active credential for a period exceeding 1 year, you must submit a new set of fingerprints.

    View Fingerprinting Instructions )


  • Obtain copies of current or expired educator licenses/authorizations.
    • This is required for out-of-state applicants and strongly encouraged for in-state applicants.
  • List the names and addresses of the colleges/universities you've attended.
  • State statute requires that you submit official transcripts from all colleges and universities attended indicating that you have earned a minimum of an Associate's Degree in Educational Interpreting or related field.  This would include any transfer credits that led to your degree earned.
  • Transcripts from institutions outside the US must be in English or include an authentic English translation, and have been evaluated by an established credential evaluation service as selected by CDE for course equivalence. CDE currently only accepts evaluations completed by a NACES member.
  • Obtain proof that you hold an EIPA Written Test Certificate.
    • If you haven't completed the certificate, obtain proof that you are registered to take the test within the current school year.
  • Obtain proof that your EIPA Performance is 2.9 or higher.
    • If you have not yet taken the performance test, obtain your PreHire Screening Report showing a "school can safely hire" or a "hire with caution" rating.
  • Complete sections A and B of the EEIA Application form. (Always use the latest version of the form that's been revised for the current year.)
    • Forward the form to the employing administrative unit (school district), BOCES, facility school, or state operated program director of special education to complete the appropriate section. (B)
    • Obtain the completed and signed form so you can include it with your online application.

( Download the EEIA Verification Form )

  • For those in Years 2 and 3 with EIPA scores less than 3.5, it is required you enroll in a mentoring activity.  Mentoring worksheets and information can be found below.

(Download the Mentoring Worksheets)


  • Within the application you must include employment history for at least the past 5 years. .
    • Include employer/business name, dates of employment, reason for leaving, work addresses, supervisor names, and contact information.


  • If applicable, obtain supporting documentation on the following:
    • Past criminal history
    • Disciplinary actions
    • Any issues related to licensure or employment

    View Self-Disclosure Requirements )

Register and Apply

Once you have gathered all of the information listed above, you are ready to begin the online application process! Just register for the eLicensing system or, if you are already registered, log in. Then, select the Emergency Educational Interpreter Authorization application titled to get started.

Register   or, if already registered,    Log In


For questions, email or call 303-866-6628.